Position Role/Tile: Data Engineer
Location: Knoxville, TN, RTP, NC or (Remote)
- Sys Admin
- Elk Stack
- Kafka, Apache Spark
Primary responsibilities of this role would include developing a new data integrity monitoring service to ensure and iteratively improve quality of a large and complex data warehouse system by constant data analysis and creation/tracking of tickets for invalid or suspect data.
Position will also require owning, tracking and resolving database related incidents and requests, reviewing service related reports (e.g: database backups, maintenance, monitoring) on a daily basis to ensure service related issues are identified and resolved within established SLAs, responding to database related alerts and escalations and working with database engineering to come up with strategic solutions to recurring problems.
This SQL database support role requires a service oriented mentality, high sense of ownership of the problems and requests assigned, focus on managing and resolving issues in alignment with the SLAs, establishing and maintaining communication with a wide and diverse user base to keep them updated with status of their requests, initiating and performing changes on production systems and proactively escalating any issues that cannot be resolved within the established timeframes.
We are looking for a person who:
• Has 5+ years of experience in database development and support in an SQL server environment (MySQL/MariaDB preferred).
• Experience with Data Warehouse development and ETL analysis, process, procedures.
• Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database integrity issues, performance issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, replication issues, log shipping issues, connectivity issues, security issues etc.
• Experience in Performance Tuning and Query Optimization – using performance monitoring, profiling and other related monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
• Ability to detect and troubleshoot server related CPU, memory, I/O, disk space and other resource contention.
• Strong knowledge of backups, restores, recovery models, database shrink operations, DBCC commands, Clustering, Database mirroring, Replication. Experience with ZFS and ZFS exports, snapshots, etc. a plus.
• Expert experience in implementing operational automation.
• SQL Development – ability to write and troubleshoot SQL code and design ( stored procs, functions, tables, views, triggers, indexes, constraints )
• Solid experience with unix server administration (Linux, FreeBSD) and SQL service administration (again, MySQL/MariaDB preferred; experience with PostGresQL a plus).
• Ability to reverse engineer and document database architecture for business-critical legacy databases.
• Documentation skills for processes and procedures
• SQL Database Operational support to tech users
Preferred candidates would also meet the following criteria:
• Solid acquaintance with operating and securing unix servers
• Experience with ODBC to connect SQL databases to modern user-based tools such as Microsoft Excel and FileMaker
• Experience with external LDAP authentication
• Thorough expertise with a scripting language like: Perl, Python, Ruby
• Experience with Tableau and R a plus
• Experience with the ELK stack (Elastic/Logstash/Kibana) a plus
• Experience with message queue/streaming analytics services (Kafka, Apache Spark, ZeroMQ, etc.) a plus.
Central Business Solutions, Inc,
37600 Central Ct.
Newark, CA 94560